Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. OBAMA, PUTIN FACE OFF OVER SYRIA
At the U.N., the U.S. president and his Russian counterpart sharply disagree over how to handle the devastating civil war.
2. TALIBAN SEIZE STRATEGIC NORTHERN AFGHAN CITY
The capture of Kunduz marks the first time the insurgents have seized a major urban area since the 2001 U.S.-led Afghan invasion.
3. WHAT NASA'S MARS ORBITER REVEALS
The spacecraft's instruments show strong evidence that water trickles down some Martian slopes, which could suggest the presence of microscopic life forms.
4. WITH BOEHNER LEAVING, LAWMAKERS SCRAMBLE TO FILL TOP HOUSE JOBS
The front-runner for the speaker's post, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, faces an opponent in Rep. Daniel Webster.
5. WHERE SHELL ABANDONS DRILLING PLANS
The petroleum giant pulls plug on its $7 billion quest to become the first company to tap oilfields in Alaska's dangerous Arctic waters — to the relief of environmentalists.
6. 'A LARGE PORTION OF THE LOCAL POPULATION WERE TERRORIZED'
That's what a judge tells Joyce Mitchell upon sentencing her to up to seven years in jail for helping two killers escape an upstate N.Y. prison, triggering a multi-week manhunt.
7. WHO PROPOSES TAX CUTS FOR ALL
Donald Trump unveils a plan that would decrease rates across the board and reduce the amount wealthy Americans and corporations owe the IRS.
8. NAVAL ACADEMY CHIEF: SCHOOL COULD PRODUCE FEMALE SEALS
The superintendent says he's confident that women who graduate from the school will eventually go on to become Navy commandoes if the military changes a policy barring them from such jobs.
9. GERMAN PROSECUTORS INVESTIGATE FORMER VW BOSS
The probe of ex-CEO Martin Winterkorn will concentrate on the suspicion of fraud committed through the sale of 11 million vehicles with manipulated emissions data.
10. LITTLE-KNOWN SOUTH AFRICAN COMIC TAKES OVER FOR JON STEWART
"I'm having nightmares," Trevor Noah tells the AP about becoming host of Comedy Central's 'The Daily Show.' "But it's also extremely exciting."