Small fire at seminary hosting pope was quickly put out

AP News
|
Posted: Sep 27, 2015 11:44 AM
Small fire at seminary hosting pope was quickly put out

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Church officials say a small fire overnight at the seminary where Pope Francis was staying was quickly extinguished and caused no injuries.

Archdiocese of Philadelphia spokesman Ken Gavin said the fire shortly late Saturday night "stemmed from a wiring issue in an elevator shaft in the kitchen" of the St. Charles Borromeo seminary just outside Philadelphia.

Gavin said Sunday there were no evacuations and Francis was in no danger.

It wasn't immediately clear how close the kitchen is to the converted dormitory where the pope was staying.

Two nearby fire companies declined to say whether they responded, saying no official authorized to comment was available.