Motorist sets lighter to spider at gas station, burns pump

AP News
|
Posted: Sep 26, 2015 8:55 PM

CENTER LINE, Mich. (AP) — A man with an apparent case of arachnophobia caused a fire at a suburban Detroit gas pump by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his fuel door.

WJBK-TV reports (http://bit.ly/1Fqtbo5 ) Saturday that he escaped injury and his vehicle suffered little damage, but the gas pump was destroyed. A clerk shut off the pump from indoors and called the fire department.

The motorist can be heard on the surveillance video at the Center Line station asking: "Is that a spider in there?" The video then shows flames erupting along the car's side, the pump and the pavement.

Recommended
Caravan Forced Back at Mexican Border
Cortney O'Brien

The man darts to safety and later uses a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. A spider is not seen.

The clerk says he apologized the next day.