Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. FRANCIS FIRST PONTIFF TO ADDRESS CONGRESS
The remarkable sight of the pope speaking in the House chamber seems to delight lawmakers of all persuasions — though he offers an agenda more to Democrats' liking.
2. WHAT CAUSED DEADLY STAMPEDE DURING HAJJ
The disaster near Mecca appeared to result from too many Muslim pilgrims jammed into a space too small to hold them, an expert says.
3. YELLEN EXPECTS FED TO RAISE RATES BY YEAR'S END
Her comments may help clarify doubts about the agency's intentions that deepened last week after its latest policy meeting ended.
4. 'DUCK BOAT' COLLIDES WITH CHARTER BUS ON BUSY SEATTLE BRIDGE
The crash — involving a military-style tour bus that can also be operated on water — kills four and injures dozens more.
5. US GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN LIKELY AVERTED
A stopgap spending bill free of the Planned Parenthood dispute is expected to easily clear the Senate next week by a wide bipartisan margin.
6. WHICH ISSUES CONTINUE TO DIVIDE US, CHINA
As President Xi visits the White House, China's cyberspying in the U.S. and its disputed territorial claims in the Asian Pacific will be at the forefront of discussions.
7. NYC SCHOOLS CLOSE FOR MUSLIM HOLIDAY
It's the first time the public schools serving 1.1 million pupils have observed Eid al-Adha, known as the Feast of the Sacrifice.
8. HOW CLIMATE CHANGE IS CHANGING BUMBLEBEES
The tongues of two American species of bees are about one-quarter shorter than they were 40 years ago — having evolving because global warming altered the wildflowers they feed from, scientists say.
9. TINY BABY BORN ON CRUISE SHIP
A Utah woman gives birth several months prematurely to a 1 1/2-pound baby in the eastern Caribbean. The boy is beating long odds to survive.
10. NO JOKE (THIS TIME): PUTIN RINGS UP ELTON JOHN
The Russian president reaches out to the entertainer and promises to meet him, days after pranksters had fooled John into believing that Putin had given him a call.