Crews rescue Florida family poisoned by carbon monoxide

AP News
|
Posted: Sep 18, 2015 12:19 PM

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Fire crews in St. Petersburg rescued two adults and five children who were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator.

Authorities say a generator running in the garage caused the fumes to build up inside the home early Friday.

St. Petersburg Fire Rescue crews arrived at the home shortly after 4 a.m.

Spokesman Steve Lawrence told the Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/1F6n9IX ) the family was using a generator to provide power to the house. It wasn't clear why.

Crews administered oxygen at the scene, and the children and their mother showed signs of improvement. Lawrence says the father was going in and out of consciousness.

A fire rescue news release identified the man as Ernest Dickson. Dickson, his fiancée and children — ranging in age from 5 months to 12 — were checked at hospitals and were not experiencing any ill effects by late morning.

___

Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.