WILLIMANTIC, Conn. (AP) — Police say a Connecticut man lost two fingers when the barrel of his ceremonial musket exploded in his hands.
It happened Wednesday night in the driveway of the 39-year-old man's home in Willimantic.
Police say he put too much gunpowder into the weapon, causing the barrel to explode from the wooden stock when it was fired.
The explosion caused him to lose two fingers on his left hand. Family members took him to Windham Hospital.
His identity has not been released.
Police say they are investigating, but no charges have been filed. The weapon was taken to the police department headquarters.