MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — A man captured in Florida 15 months after his parents were found strangled in their burning New Hampshire home will remain jailed without bail on murder charges.
Matthew Dion, 39, said nothing during his appearance Friday in Manchester District Court via a video relay from jail. Details of the charges against him have been sealed and likely won't be made public until a hearing on the evidence June 19.
Dion is charged with two counts of second-degree murder. Prosecutors say he beat his parents and strangled them with a wire in March 2014 in the Manchester home the three shared, then set the house on fire several days later.
Prosecutors have also charged him with arson and three counts of child pornography, saying images of child sexual abuse were found on his computer.
Dion fled after the fire and was placed on the U.S. Marshals Service's 15 Most Wanted list in April. He was arrested June 3 at a hotel where he was living and working after a media campaign in Florida and Georgia generated some vital tips. Deputy U.S. Marshal Jeffrey White said last week that Dion initially gave police a different name when he was apprehended, then later told officers, "You got me."
"He was hiding in plain sight," Manchester Assistant Police Chief Nick Willard said.
Dion's lawyer, Carrie Smith, argued unsuccessfully at the start of Friday's hearing to bar cameras from the courtroom because Dion would be depicted in a jail setting. Dion, in the video, stood against a backdrop of corrections department signs.
Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said Dion was returned to the state Thursday night.
Smith declined to comment after the hearing.