WINNEMUCCA, Nev. (AP) — Classes are expected to resume Tuesday at a rural Nevada school that was evacuated last week after a student spilled mercury in the hallways and others tracked it through the building.
The student got the mercury from a relative's garage, and on Thursday he brought a salt shaker containing the hazardous material to the junior high in Winnemucca, about 170 miles east of Reno.
No one was hurt, but about a dozen students were taken to the hospital for observation. Roughly 400 students had their feet and shoes decontaminated. Most of the shoes have been cleared and will be returned when classes resume.
Winnemucca Junior High was closed Friday and Monday, with crews continuing cleanup.
Humboldt County School District officials say workers with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have identified some "hot spots" that continue to show readings above recommended safety levels.