NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — A construction company has offered to demolish at no cost the Newtown home of the Sandy Hook school shooter, a town official said Tuesday.
Representatives of Manafort Brothers are expected to meet with town officials this week to discuss the details and possibly set a date to demolish the house where Adam Lanza and his mother, Nancy, lived, The News-Times reports (http://bit.ly/1EnyfE0 ).
Newtown First Selectwoman Pat Llodra said Manafort Brothers made the offer in part because several employees live in the town.
Lanza killed his mother on Dec. 14, 2012, before heading to Sandy Hook Elementary School where he fatally shot 20 students and six educators and then committed suicide.
Manafort's offer would save about $30,000 Newtown planned to spend from an insurance fund set aside for costs associated with the shootings. The fund was used to demolish the Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2013.
A representative of Manafort did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The town took ownership of the Colonial-style home in December, after the bank that held the mortgage turned over the deed to the town, also at no cost. The 3,100-square-foot house is on 2 acres and is appraised at $523,000.
The Board of Selectmen recommended the demolition last month after several neighbors said the house reminds them of the Sandy Hook tragedy. The board consulted Lanza's neighbors and families of his victims and all agreed the house should go, Llodra said.
The town has no immediate plans for the property once it's vacant. "As time goes on, what options are appropriate will evolve," Llodra said.
Information from: The News-Times, http://www.newstimes.com