Dog undergoes surgery after eating parts of calf-high boots

AP News
|
Posted: Feb 02, 2015 10:43 PM
Dog undergoes surgery after eating parts of calf-high boots

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Veterinarians say a dog is recovering after surgery to remove parts of a pair of calf-high leather boots the animal had eaten.

The Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center in Philadelphia says the 4-year-old mixed breed named Vince ate parts of both boots on Friday.

Specialists say the volume consumed was so large that the dog's stomach was unable to pass the material into the small intestines, so the pet underwent surgery Saturday.

Specialists say surgery or endoscopy is often needed when dogs eat something they shouldn't, since it can obstruct the digestive tract and perforate the intestines.

If pets are experiencing vomiting, lethargy or lack of appetite, it may be a sign a foreign object is present, and the animals should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible.