Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. MARIO CUOMO DIES AT 82
Obama praises the former New York governor as "an unflinching voice for tolerance, inclusiveness, fairness, dignity, and opportunity."
2. SEARCHERS RECOVER 21 MORE BODIES FROM AIRASIA CRASH SITE
Rescue teams battling monsoon rains have their most successful day yet, more than tripling the number of bodies pulled from the Java Sea, including some still strapped to their seats.
3. 'LIVING HELL' FOR SLAVES IN REMOTE SOUTH KOREA
The disabled and homeless are forced to work on islands off the country's southwest coast, but no local officials who know about slavery will face punishment.
4. WHAT POSES CHALLENGE FOR LEGAL POT STATES
Washington and Colorado wrestle with competition from medical marijuana or even outright black market sales.
5. IRAQ'S BIRDS OF MERCY TAKE FLIGHT FROM DIN OF WAR
Trappers sell captured European starlings at the market in Irbil, with most buyers purchasing their freedom to bring good luck — but the campaign against the Islamic State group appears to have scared many of the birds away.
6. FAMILIES OF SHANGHAI VICTIMS SEEK ANSWERS
Authorities are still investigating the cause of the stampede that killed 36 people during New Year's celebrations.
7. IF NOT HILLARY, THEN WHO?
If the former secretary of state decides not to run for president, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren are among the other possible top candidates.
8. PIANO STORES CLOSING AS FEWER CHILDREN TAKING UP INSTRUMENT
Some blame computers and others opt for a less expensive electronic keyboard, but what's clear is that a long-term decline in sales has accelerated.
9. WHAT RESOLUTIONS FAST-FOOD CHAINS ARE MAKING
McDonald's, Taco Bell and other restaurants are trying to shed their reputation for serving reheated meals that are loaded with chemicals.
10. BUCKEYES BEAT 'BAMA, TO FACE DUCKS
Sugar Bowl champion Ohio State will meet Rose Bowl champ Oregon in Arlington, Texas, on Jan. 12 in the first College Football Playoff championship game.