Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. AP SOURCES: U.S., CUBA SEEK TO NORMALIZE RELATIONS
Spurred by a prisoner swap, the move would mark the most significant shift in U.S. policy toward the communist island in decades.
2. PAKISTAN SCHOOL SCENE OF HEART-WRENCHING LOSS
Images of blood-soaked floors, torn notebooks and blown up children's clothes show horrors of the attack that killed nearly 150 people in Peshawar.
3. SYDNEY HOSTAGE PLANNED DARING ESCAPE
John O'Brien, 82, made his move for freedom because he was convinced the gunman was insane and they would all likely end up dead.
4. SYDNEY GUNMAN DROPPED OFF SURVEILLANCE
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott says the 50-year-old man who took 17 people hostage at a cafe on Monday was on a terror watch list till 2009.
5. WHICH MEMBER OF POLITICAL DYNASTY IS POISED TO RUN IN 2016
Jeb Bush all but declares his candidacy for president more than a year before the first primaries.
6. 14 NABBED IN 2012 DEADLY FUNGAL MENINGITIS OUTBREAK
Two co-founders and 12 ex-employees of a Massachusetts compounding pharmacy blamed for the illnesses were arrested.
7. WHY RUSSIA'S CURRENCY IS REGAINING SOME LOST VALUE
Moscow's announcement that it will bolster its sagging ruble by selling foreign reserves is causing a moderate rise in its value, but consumers are still scrambling as prices rocket.
8. NY PREMIERE FOR 'THE INTERVIEW' CANCELED AMID THREATS
A group calling itself the Guardians of Peace makes ominous threats against movie theaters showing the movie that depicts a terror plot to kill the North Korean leader.
9. HOW QATAR IS FAKING IT WHEN IT COMES TO SPORTS
In the rich but thinly populated Gulf nation, migrant workers are paid to attend sporting events to give the impression Qataris are obsessed with all things athletic.
10. BILL COSBY WON'T FACE CHARGES IN PLAYBOY MANSION CASE
Los Angeles prosecutors decline to file charges against the TV icon after a woman recently claimed the comedian molested her at the mansion around 1974.