Man falls asleep while cooking, dies after fire

AP News
|
Posted: Dec 08, 2014 4:04 PM

BROWNSVILLE, Pa. (AP) — Pennsylvania state police say a man who fell asleep while cooking has been found dead after a house fire.

Troopers say it appears victim Anthony Joseph Willis tried to escape through a first-floor window of the Brownsville home but couldn't.

Willis' roommate tells police he started making food about 1 a.m. Sunday and then fell asleep as the food and stove caught fire. The roommate tells authorities he found Willis' body in a first-floor living room about three hours later.

Autopsy results aren't available.

Police say the roommate told them a water line in the kitchen burst and extinguished the fire before firefighters could arrive.