NEW YORK (AP) — NBC News medical reporter Nancy Snyderman will be back on the network Wednesday after being shelved for more than a month following a violation of her quarantine for possible Ebola exposure.
A network executive who spoke on condition of anonymity because it was a personnel matter said Tuesday that Snyderman will report on a medical issue for the "Today" show and NBC's "Nightly News." The story won't be about Ebola.
There was some question about whether the veteran medical journalist would ever return to NBC News. She had been reporting on the Ebola outbreak in Liberia for NBC in October at the time a cameraman who briefly worked with her, Ashoka Mukpo, came down with the deadly virus. Mukpo was transferred back to the United States for treatment and has since recovered.
Snyderman and the rest of the NBC team were urged to quarantine themselves for a 21-day period upon their return to the United States. Neither she nor anyone else from the network came down with Ebola.
During the midst of that quarantine, Snyderman and her crew were spotted getting takeout food from a New Jersey restaurant, prompting New Jersey officials to make her quarantine mandatory.
Her takeout foray angered her bosses and unleashed a bitter response online, with some suggestions by viewers that they would have a hard time trusting her again after the mistake in judgment. NBC News President Deborah Turness told Snyderman to take some time off.
There's no word on whether Snyderman will address the issue with viewers when she returns to the air.
Snyderman, a surgeon, has been at NBC News since 2006 after spending 17 years as a medical correspondent for ABC News.