Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. OBAMA SAID TO HAVE SETTLED ON NOMINEE TO SUCCEED HAGEL
Ashton Carter, 60, has never served in the military or in Congress, unlike many defense secretaries.
2. FRESH ALARM OVER LITHIUM BATTERIES
The rechargeable batteries are susceptible to fires or explosions that could destroy the passenger planes that carry them as cargo, new tests show.
3. CALIFORNIA WOMAN SUES BILL COSBY
Judy Huth says she was molested by the comedian in a bedroom at the Playboy Mansion around 1974 when she was age 15.
4. ISRAELI GOVERNMENT CRUMBLES
Netanyahu calls for an election, plunging the country into a bitter campaign at a time of growing violence between Palestinians and Jews.
5. WHY POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING MICHAEL BROWN'S STEPFATHER
Louis Head made angry comments on the streets of Ferguson ahead of the arson, vandalism and looting that followed the grand jury's announcement.
6. ONLINE SHOPPERS SET RECORD
Sales on Cyber Monday totaled nearly $2.04 billion, the heaviest online spending day ever.
7. WHO LIKELY WAS BEHIND CYBERATTACK ON SONY PICTURES
Experts say the evidence points to hacktivists — not North Korea, despite widespread speculation about Pyongyang's possible involvement.
8. CDC: BENEFITS OF CIRCUMCISION OUTWEIGH RISKS
The long-awaited federal guidelines stop short of telling parents to have their newborn sons circumcised, calling that a personal decision.
9. ROLLING STONES' SAXOPHONE PLAYER DIES AT 70
Bobby Keys, a lifetime rock 'n' roller, was famed for his solo on "Brown Sugar."
10. WHICH ONE-TIME FOOTBALL POWER IS TURNING THE PAGE
Michigan fires coach Brady Hoke after four seasons during which the Wolverines sank into mediocrity.