NYC borough officials boycotting bridge's 50th anniversary

AP News
|
Posted: Nov 21, 2014 9:15 AM

NEW YORK (AP) — The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in New York City is 50 years old but not everyone is celebrating.

Staten Island's politicians are boycotting the anniversary ceremony Friday because of a proposed toll hike announced earlier this week.

The double-decked suspension bridge links the borough with Brooklyn.

The Staten Island Advance (http://bit.ly/1tn59xj ) reports that the borough's 11 elected officials say they won't attend.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has proposed raising the one-way cash toll for cars by $1 to $16. Toll increases also would be applied across all major MTA bridge and tunnel crossings.

The MTA said in a statement the agency regretted that the borough's elected representatives would not be attending. It says Staten Islanders can significantly lower their rates by using E-ZPass electronic tolling and taking advantage of resident discounts.

___

Information from: Staten Island Advance, http://www.silive.com