RENO, Nev. (AP) — A Reno science museum was issued two citations after a tornado demonstration led to a flash fire that injured 13 people, a state official said Monday.
Each of the citations issued to the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum carries a penalty of $1,050, said Teri Williams, a spokeswoman for the Nevada Occupational Health and Safety Administration.
Reno fire officials said the brief blaze erupted Sept. 3 after an employee poured alcohol on a cotton ball that had been dusted with boric acid and partially ignited.
Nine people were treated at a hospital. All were released within 24 hours.
OSHA says the museum didn't do a workplace hazard assessment for personal protective equipment for employees working with flammable and toxic chemicals.
OSHA also said the museum didn't train employees on using hazardous chemicals.
Museum spokesman Patrick Turner said it won't challenge the citations. The employee resigned after the incident.