BOSTON (AP) — Former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez remains on track for a May trial on two murder charges.
His lawyers and prosecutors agreed Tuesday to another pre-trial hearing on Nov. 25 during a brief court appearance in Suffolk Superior Court.
The lawyers largely talked privately with Judge Jeffrey Locke at the bench, out of hearing range from the courtroom audience.
Hernandez, who did not attend the hearing, is charged in the 2012 killings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado.
Prosecutors say Hernandez shot the two men after one of them accidentally spilled a drink on him in a Boston nightclub.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty in those killings and in the 2013 shooting death of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player whose body was found in an industrial park about a mile from Hernandez's North Attleborough home.
Lloyd had been dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee. That trial is scheduled for January in Fall River.
In the Boston case, prosecutors say Hernandez and a friend followed the two men in their car after the chance encounter at the nightclub. They said Hernandez fired at least five shots into the car while it was stopped at a red light, killing the two men and injuring a third.
The men were killed about six weeks before Hernandez signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the Patriots. He was not indicted until May 2014.
Prosecutors said that in the months leading up to the shooting, Hernandez had become increasingly convinced that people had been disrespecting him when he went to nightclubs.
Hernandez was released by the Patriots after he was charged in Lloyd's June 2013 killing.