Sandy Hook school bomb scare 'low to no threat'

AP News
|
Posted: Oct 02, 2014 6:51 AM

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Newtown's schools superintendent says a bomb threat phoned in to the Sandy Hook School that forced its evacuation was "complex," but was considered "low to no threat."

The News-Times reports (http://bit.ly/1rGyLYL that Superintendent Joseph Erardi told about 100 parents at a meeting Wednesday night that the decision to evacuate the school was made at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday after speaking with police. The threat was phoned in at 9:30 a.m.

He said evacuating the school was precautionary.

Several parents praised faculty and staff for managing the evacuation as a drill. Children were not aware of the bomb threat.

A gunman fatally shot 20 children and six educators at a previously used Sandy Hook School in December 2012. That building has been demolished and a school in neighboring Monroe is being used.

___

Information from: The News-Times, http://www.newstimes.com