Manager arrested in wake of Miami shooting

AP News
|
Posted: Sep 30, 2014 5:26 PM
Manager arrested in wake of Miami shooting

MIAMI (AP) — The manager of a restaurant where 15 people were shot during a teen party over the weekend was arrested for selling liquor without a license, authorities said Tuesday.

Police and city investigators inspected The Spot on Monday and found three bottles of liquor behind the bar. The restaurant, which is popular for its fried conch, chicken wings and island music, is only licensed to sell food, beer and wine, according to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

Police said The Spot should not have been functioning as a nightclub early Sunday morning when a shooting sent terrified patrons running from the club and wounded many youngsters, including an 11-year-old girl. Neighbors said the adult club had recently started hosting a teen night with popular DJs that was drawing large crowds.

A message left for manager Tiffany Johnson was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Miami Fire Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll said they're waiting to hear from the fire marshal about whether the venue was over capacity. Surveillance video from a furniture store next door showed dozens of teens streaming out of the small restaurant when the shooting began around 1 a.m. Sunday.

Neighbors said the recent teen nights had become very popular and that large groups liked to shuttle back and forth between the restaurant and the convenience store across the street.

Mike Brown, who lives a few houses down from the restaurant, said he saw teens hitting the ground, jumping the fence and running toward him as gunshots were being fired. It's not clear what prompted the shooting. Police have released few details and have not identified any suspects.

Most of the wounded had been treated and released, but four people remained hospitalized Tuesday. One was in critical condition, Jackson Health System spokeswoman Jennifer Piedra said.

Fire Rescue officials found minor violations during their inspection of the restaurant Monday, including a non-compliant extension cord, a broken door latch and an oven hood that needed maintenance, Carroll said.