HYANNIS, Mass. (AP) — Authorities investigating a fire that killed an 8-year-old Massachusetts boy say a child was playing with a lighter inside a shed that apparently contained gasoline for a lawnmower.
Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe on Tuesday identified the victim of the Hyannis fire as Savvas Yianasmidis.
O'Keefe says Savvas was in the shed playing on a laptop with two friends, both age 8. He says one of the boys was playing with a lighter.
Authorities received a call at about 5:30 p.m. Monday. Neighbors tried using a garden hose to extinguish the fire. By the time firefighters arrived, the 8-foot-by-12-foot shed was engulfed in flames.
State fire Marshal Stephen Coan called the blaze a horrific and tragic accident. It remains under investigation.