FLINT, Mich. (AP) — Two more people have come forward to say they were assaulted as children by a retired Michigan police sergeant charged with sexual misconduct when he worked at the Flint Police Department in the 1990s, police said.
Authorities are investigating the new claims against retired Flint Police Sgt. Lawrence Woods, Flint Police Sgt. Karl Petrich told the Flint Journal (http://bit.ly/YzonbK ). Investigators believe he used his position as an officer to sexually assault minors and committed some of the acts while on duty, Petrich said.
Woods, 66, was arraigned last week on 16 counts of first-degree criminal sexual contact with two other minors and returned to jail without bond.
His attorney, Frank Manley, said there are always questions about decades-old allegations.
"Evidence can be lost, and people's memories fade," Manley said. "And, there is always the question of motivation. Could they be making these claims for money or notoriety? We'll have to see if there is evidence that can actually be presented in court."
Investigators had anticipated more people would come forward alleging sexual abuse by Woods based on hundreds of child pornography photos found in several homes he had lived in or stayed at, Petrich said at a press conference after the arraignment. He said the photos seized last Thursday were not taken from the Internet and police believe the children were photographed in Woods' apartment and a hotel room.
Investigators are searching for more potential victims because they believe there are more than the four who have come forward. Woods is due back in court Oct. 2.
Information from: The Flint Journal, http://www.mlive.com/flint