LOS ANGELES (AP) — Criminal charges have been filed against a woman and two of her attorneys for falsely claiming she was sexually assaulted by a Saudi sheik's son in a scheme to extort at least $15 million, Los Angeles County prosecutors said Monday.
Leyla Ors, Joseph Gerard Cavallo and Emanuel Karl Hudson were charged with attempted extortion, conspiracy to commit extortion, conspiracy to receive a bribe and conspiracy to obstruct justice, according to a statement from the district attorney's office. In addition, Ors, 33, was charged with one count of offering to receive a bribe by a witness.
Ors, a German national, told police in March that she had been raped by Thamer Albalwi, the 23-year-old son of Sheik Monsur Albalwi, one of the wealthiest men in Saudi Arabia, the district attorney's office said.
Based on her allegations, a physical examinaton and visible injuries, the junior Albalwi was charged March 13 with four counts of sexual assault.
In June, prosecutors allege, Hudson, 58, called Thamer Albalwi's father and told him that for $15 million, Ors would not testify against the son and "the case would be over." On the same day, Cavallo, 58, allegedly called the sheik and demanded $20 million, saying an account would be set up in Lucerne, Switzerland, to receive the cash.
The three were arrested last week. The attorneys were released on bail, but Ors remained in custody ahead of a Monday arraignment.
Cavallo was scheduled for arraignment on Tuesday, and Hudson is expected to be arraigned July 31.
If convicted, each of the defendants could face up to four years behind bars.
The sexual assault case against Thamer Albalwi was dismissed on Friday.