SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A man accused of killing eight Mexican municipal government officials has been arrested and turned over to officials in that country, U.S. authorities said Wednesday.
Genaro Olaguez, 53, had been living at a relative's Sacramento home before his arrest Tuesday, Deputy U.S. Marshal Frank Newsom said.
Olaguez is suspected of killing a commissioner and seven other city officials in Sinaloa, Mexico, in May 2000. Four others also were seriously wounded in the attack that marshals called a massacre.
The marshals service has been given few details on the killings, Newsom said. "All I know is heavy weapons" were used, he said.
Sacramento County Jail records list the suspect's last name as Olaguez-Rendon. Newsom and Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Lisa Bowman say Olaguez was deported to Mexico on Wednesday.
Mariana Carine Tyler, a spokeswoman for the Mexican Consulate in Sacramento, said she could not immediately comment or provide other details.
Authorities learned Tuesday that Olaguez was living at the residence. They watched the house until they saw Olaguez return and a law enforcement fugitive task force led by marshals made the arrest.
Olaguez also has an outstanding warrant in San Joaquin County for growing marijuana and stealing utility services, the marshals office said.
Ed Shaver, a deputy San Joaquin public defender representing Olaguez, did not immediately return a telephone message.
Robert Himelblau, a spokesman for the San Joaquin County district attorney's office, also did not immediately respond.