BOONE, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina police are pointing to carbon monoxide poisoning as the likely reason for the recent death of an 11-year-old South Carolina boy and two other guests found dead in the same motel room almost two months earlier.
Boone police said Monday in a news release that emergency responders found elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the room where Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday. Police say a preliminary autopsy found the boy died from asphyxia, which happens when toxic gases cut off oxygen to the body.
Jeffrey's 49-year-old mother, Jeannie Williams, was rushed to a hospital and survived.
A Longview, Wash., couple was found dead in the same motel room April 16. Police said new toxicology results show 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins died of carbon monoxide poisoning.