Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death

AP News
Posted: May 22, 2013 5:44 PM
Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death

BANGOR, Maine (AP) — Police laid out their case Wednesday against a man accused of killing a 15-year-old girl whose body was found in a wooded area miles from her home, but the details remained hidden from public view after a judge sealed a crucial affidavit at the request of the suspect's lawyer.

Kyle Dube showed no emotion as he made an initial court appearance Wednesday, a day after he was charged with murder when a body believed to be Nichole Cable's was found in Old Town. A bail hearing will be held later.

Justice William Anderson ordered a state police affidavit impounded at the request of Dube's lawyer, Steve Smith, who said he was concerned about pretrial publicity. The affidavit will remain sealed until after a grand jury can consider the case, the judge said.

Several of Nichole's friends were in court wearing shirts in her favorite color, neon yellow, in her honor.

Jessica Brideau said Dube, who worked at an organization that cares for people with disabilities, "seemed really nice in the beginning."

"I just never thought he would do something like this," said Brideau, 20, of Old Town. "It sickens me."

Ashley Pattershall, a 16-year-old sophomore at Old Town High School, said she last spoke with Nichole on May 11, the night before she disappeared.

"She said, 'I'll see you at school,'" Pattershall said.

Dube, 20, already had been interviewed by authorities about Nichole's disappearance before he reported to jail Friday to begin serving a sentence for fleeing police on a motorcycle at more than 100 mph, Deputy Attorney General William Stokes said Wednesday. Stokes said investigators are confident he was the only person involved in Nichole's death.

Dube knew Nichole, according to her friends, but the nature of his relationship with her remained unclear. So, too, the role of social media. Nichole's family has said she vanished after going outside her house to see someone she'd met on Facebook.

Friends said Wednesday that someone set up a fictitious Facebook account under another man's name for the purpose of reaching out to area teenagers. They called the fake account unsettling.

"I'm going home to just delete a bunch of people off there," Brideau said. "I don't know who to trust. It's hard to trust people on those networks."

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson confirmed that social media was an aspect of the case but declined to elaborate.

Several of Nichole's family members attended the hearing Wednesday but left without speaking to reporters.

Tyler-Ann Harris, 16, who described herself as Nichole's best friend, said a day earlier that Dube and Nichole planned to see each other the weekend she vanished, before he was required to report to jail. Harris, who attended Old Town High School with Nichole, said she was surprised that Dube was charged in her death because she thought the two got along.

Dozens of law enforcement officers, using aircraft and dogs, and hundreds of civilian volunteers had spent days searching for the teen, who lived in Glenburn, just west of Old Town. The body believed to be hers was found Monday night by a warden who was searching the woods with a dog.

Although autopsy results are pending, law enforcement officials say they believe Nichole was killed the day she disappeared.

Prosecutors intend to have Dube held without bail pending trial.