AKRON, Ohio (AP) — Prosecutors have begun presenting witness testimony to show that robbery and identity theft were the motives behind attacks two years ago that left three men in Ohio dead and a fourth wounded. The victims were lured by phony Craigslist job offers.
The trial of 53-year-old alleged triggerman Richard Beasley resumed Tuesday in Akron. He has pleaded not guilty to aggravated murder and kidnapping charges in the killings that began in August 2011.
Beasley's teenage co-defendant was convicted last year and sentenced to life in prison.
Prosecutor Emily Pelphrey told jurors Monday in opening statements that Beasley wanted a new identity "and he got it."
Beasley's attorney, James Burdon, told the jury there isn't enough evidence to prove his client committed the crimes.