Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. CONGRESS STAVES OFF THE 'FISCAL CLIFF'
The House votes 257-167 to give final approval to the bill that averted spending cuts and tax hikes on the middle class.
2. THE TAX HIKE NO ONE'S TALKING ABOUT
Ending the Social Security payroll tax cut means that someone earning $50,000 will pay $1,000 more a year in taxes.
3. ANGER OVER SANDY AID
New York-area lawmakers are outraged that the House planned to end its term without approving a $60.4 billion bill for storm-battered victims.
4. BIEBER PAPARAZZO KILLED IN ACCCIDENT
The photographer is struck by a car after trying to shoot a picture of Bieber's Ferrari.
5. A DEADLY FIREWORKS STAMPEDE
Sixty-one people were killed and more than 200 injured in the crowd after a New Year's fireworks show on Africa's Ivory Coast.
6. WHAT CLOSED DOWN IN SYRIA'S LARGEST CITY
Fighting between government troops and rebels forced the international airport in Aleppo to close.
7. WHO PENNSYLVANIA IS TAKING TO COURT OVER PENN STATE
The state planned to file a federal lawsuit over stiff sanctions imposed after the Sandusky sex abuse scandal.
8. MORE BACKLASH AGAINST INDIA GANG RAPE
India's top court is deciding whether to suspend facing sexual assault charges as protests continue.
9. AN ANSWER UNEARTHED IN HATFIELD-MCCOY FEUD
Excavators found bullets believed to have been fired by the McCoys in an 1888 gun battle in eastern Kentucky.
10. BACK ON THE AIR AFTER GRILL ACCIDENT
ESPN's Hannah Storm waved her bandaged left hand as she hosted the Rose Parade in her first appearance since she was burned three weeks ago.