LOOMIS, Calif. (AP) — California health officials are renewing warnings about wild mushrooms after two elderly residents of an assisted-living facility near Sacramento, Calif., died after eating soup made with deadly fungi.
Four others at the six-person eldercare home also were sickened Friday, including the caretaker who made the soup.
Portland wild mushroom dealer Casey Jonquil says amateurs take a big risk when they harvest wild mushrooms. It takes a trained eye to discern some poisonous varieties from edible ones.
Placer County sheriff's officials say the deaths of Barbara Lopes and Teresa Olesniewicz were an accident. Both were residents of the homey Gold Age Villa in Loomis and died after eating mushroom soup.
Severe mushroom poisoning can result in renal and liver failure.
Facility owner Raisa Oselsky did not return calls.