Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (times EDT):
1. A CAMPAIGN TACTIC FOR DEMOCRATS: QUOTE TODD AKIN
As the Missouri congressman defies his party by staying in the Senate race, his comments on rape and pregnancy are being used against Republicans running elsewhere.
2. WHERE U.S. TROOPS KEEP DYING, LARGELY UNNOTICED
AP's Deb Riechmann explores why Americans pay more attention to political ad wars than the Afghanistan war.
3. AP POLL SHOWS A TIGHT RACE FOR THE WHITE HOUSE
After the addition of Ryan to the GOP ticket, Romney and Obama remain closely matched.
4. WHY A TRAIN JUMPED THE TRACKS
Investigators are looking for answers and exploring whether two women killed in the derailment played a role.
5. TROPICAL STORM ISAAC HAS REPUBLICANS WORRIED
After hitting hurricane strength it could target Tampa, right when the GOP holds its convention there.
6. WHAT'S GETTING ATTENTION IN AIR RACE DISASTER PROBE
Loose screws in a World War II-era fighter's tail may have caused the crash that killed 11 last year.
7. CURIOSITY PREPPING FOR FIRST MARS TEST DRIVE
No parallel parking, but the rover will travel 10 feet, turn, back up, and finish to the left of its starting spot.
8. THE SWITCH IN NATALIE WOOD'S DEATH CERTIFICATE
Three decades later, the cause has been amended to "drowning and other undetermined factors," instead of accidental drowning.
9. COLUMBUS GETS A ROOM, BUT NOT EVERYONE LIKES THE PLACE
A Japanese artist is building a living room around a New York statue of the great explorer, and some Italian-Americans say that's disrespectful.
10. A WINNING HAND FOR THE PUSH TO LEGALIZE INTERNET POKER IN THE U.S.
It's a game of skill, not chance, according to a federal judge in New York.