WILSON, N.Y. (AP) — Sheriff's investigators believe a propane leak led to a New York house explosion that killed a 14-year-old girl and injured four family members this week.
But Niagara County Sheriff James Voutour (voo-TOOR') said Friday it's unclear what sparked the explosion. Authorities are looking at appliances as one possibility.
The Tuesday morning blast leveled a large, two-story home in Wilson, a town about 30 miles north of Buffalo. Jody and Judith Johnson and their five children lived there. Sarah Johnson was killed.
Jody Johnson and his 16-year-old son, Nathan, were released from a hospital Thursday. Judith Johnson remains hospitalized in fair condition. Her 18-year-old daughter, Katie, remains in critical condition with severe burns.
Two other siblings weren't home when the blast happened.