Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (times EDT):
1. PRIVATE SPACE SHIP HEADS HOME
The SpaceX Dragon pulls away from the International Space Station and begins its return to Earth, ending the nine-day mission with a splashdown in the Pacific at 11:44 a.m.
2. OBAMA WELCOMES GEORGE W. BUSH BACK TO THE WHITE HOUSE
At 1:25 p.m., the president unveils the official portrait of his predecessor. It could get awkward because Obama has often complained of the problems he inherited from Bush's administration.
3. SCIENTISTS SAY GREENHOUSE GAS HAS REACHED A TROUBLING MILESTONE
Monitoring stations in the Arctic measure more than 400 parts per million of carbon monoxide, the main global warming pollutant. That far surpasses the 350 mark many scientists say is the highest safe level.
4. HOUSE VOTES ON SEX-SELECTION ABORTION BAN
An afternoon vote is expected on the measure to ban abortions based on gender of the fetus, a practice common in countries such India and China.
5. IRELAND VOTES TODAY ON EUROPE'S DEFICIT-FIGHTING TREATY
Rejection would lock Ireland out of loans from the European Union's future rescue fund.
6. OREGON COASTAL TOWN TESTS ITS READINESS FOR A MONSTER WAVE
At 5 p.m., up to 10,000 residents around Coos Bay, Ore., participate in an evacuation drill aimed at getting everyone to higher ground within 20 minutes.
7. EX-RUTGERS STUDENT HEADS TO JAIL FOR SPYING ON GAY ROOMMATE
At 1 p.m., Dharun Ravi begins a 30-day sentence for using his webcam in 2010 to spy on Tyler Clementi and another man kissing. Clementi committed suicide days later.
8. SHOOTINGS LEAVE SUSPECT, 5 OTHERS DEAD IN OUTBURST OF VIOLENCE IN SEATTLE
A man's shooting spree that killed four in a cafe and another in a carjacking brings to 21 the number of homicides in Seattle so far this year _ the same as last year's total.
9. WHO WILL WIN THE NATIONAL SPELLING BEE?
Fifty finalists take the stage at 10 a.m., culminating tonight when a winner walks away with a $30,000 prize.
10. KINGS TAKE GAME 1 OF THE STANLEY CUP FINALS
Anze Kopitar scored a spectacular goal in overtime to lift the Los Angeles Kings to a 2-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils.