2 Libyan-Americans now allowed to return to US

AP News
|
Posted: Feb 13, 2012 5:21 PM
2 Libyan-Americans now allowed to return to US

An official from a Muslim civil rights group says two Libyan-Americans from Oregon who were denied re-entry to the United States from Libya will be returning home, although one man's return has been delayed.

Gadeir Abbas, a lawyer for the Washington-based Council on American Islamic Relations, says the men have been assured by the U.S. State Department they may return home. Fifty-five-year-old Jamal Tarhuni is expected to arrive Tuesday in Oregon.

Sixty-year-old Mustafa Elogbi plans to depart Sunday from Libya after being ordered to delay his departure for unexplained reasons.

Last month, both were kept from returning to the U.S. They say they were subjected to an overzealous and groundless investigation by the FBI.

The FBI in Portland has declined comment, as did the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs.