9-year-old NYC boy chokes in school cafeteria

AP News
Posted: Dec 17, 2011 10:48 AM
9-year-old NYC boy chokes in school cafeteria

Witnesses say a fourth-grade boy choked on meatballs during lunch in a New York City school cafeteria this month and later died.

The New York Post ( http://nyp.st/td2pmw) reports that 9-year-old Jonathan Jewth fell to the ground during lunch Dec. 5 and was unconscious before help arrived. They say cafeteria workers at Public School 47 in the Bronx didn't know what to do and failed to help him.

Jonathan's family says the little boy suffered brain damage and died Monday.

Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott says his death was a tragedy. Education officials haven't responded to requests for comment about what witnesses say the workers did.


Information from: New York Post, http://www.nypost.com