Judge nixes monoxide suit against Colorado county

AP News
|
Posted: Nov 03, 2011 1:03 PM
Judge nixes monoxide suit against Colorado county

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit against a Colorado county and two building inspectors over the deaths of a Denver family of four who died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

U.S. District Judge William Martinez said Wednesday the people who sued failed to prove Pitkin County and its building inspectors created the danger that led to the family's 2008 deaths.

Caroline and Parker Lofgren and their two children, 10-year-old Owen and 8-year-old Sophie, died while staying at an Aspen-area vacation house over Thanksgiving weekend. They won the visit in a fundraiser.

The Aspen Daily News reports (http://bit.ly/uCyqRi) the county argued someone might have altered a boiler after Pitkin County officials issued a permit for the vacation home.

A hearing in a criminal case over the deaths is scheduled Thursday.