Suspect in Fla. canal deaths gets 10-year sentence

AP News
|
Posted: Oct 11, 2011 4:22 PM
Suspect in Fla. canal deaths gets 10-year sentence

A South Florida man accused in the deaths of two children found in luggage in a canal has been sentenced to 10 years in prison on an unrelated gun charge.

Thirty-four-year-old Clem Beauchamp was handed the stiff sentence Tuesday in federal court in Fort Lauderdale.

His attorney said he would appeal and Beauchamp himself denied any involvement in the deaths of the two children, who were found in March, or their mother, who was found dead in a landfill last year.

In a case separate from the gun charge, he is charged with murder in the three deaths.

The Palm Beach Post (http://bit.ly/o7xACn) reports Beauchamp said, "I was never involved in a murder plot. I never murdered anyone."