Hotel evacuated, 1 hurt after bear spray discharge

AP News
|
Posted: Oct 10, 2011 11:16 AM
Hotel evacuated, 1 hurt after bear spray discharge

Authorities say a Salt Lake City Marriott hotel was evacuated and a housekeeper was taken to the hospital after a can of bear repellant accidentally discharged.

Fire officials tell the Salt Lake Tribune the housekeeper was pushing her cleaning cart through a hallway at about 5 p.m. Sunday when it hit a can of spray that was left on the floor.

Salt Lake City Battalion Fire Chief Clair Baldwin says the can discharged and released the repellant, which he says "is like pepper spray, only 10 times stronger." Baldwin says the woman was unable to open her eyes after the incident and was taken to the hospital.

The Deseret News reports about 200 people were evacuated as crews aired out the building.

Authorities are still trying to determine why the bear repellant was in the hallway.