One dead, 9 sick from fumes at McDonald's in Georgia

Reuters News
|
Posted: Sep 08, 2011 2:09 PM
One dead, 9 sick from fumes at McDonald's in Georgia

ATLANTA (Reuters) - One woman died and nine others were sickened after breathing toxic fumes in the bathroom of a McDonald's restaurant in south Georgia, authorities said on Thursday.

An 80-year-old woman from Florida died early on Thursday, hours after being overcome by fumes in the bathroom at a McDonald's restaurant in Pooler, Georgia, the city's Police Chief Mark Revenew said.

She was one of two women emergency workers found unconscious in the bathroom of the restaurant on Wednesday afternoon, Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons said.

A total of 10 people, including three firefighters, went to the hospital after being sickened by the fumes in the bathroom, Simmons said.

Firefighters noticed a smell in the bathroom but were not able to identify the source, Simmons said.

A spokeswoman for McDonald's declined immediate comment on the incident.

Pooler is near Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport.

(Reporting by Lisa Baertlein, Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Greg McCune)