Military investigating Navy medic in bomb threat

AP News
|
Posted: Sep 08, 2011 1:57 PM
Military investigating Navy medic in bomb threat

The Marine Corps is taking over the investigation of a Navy medic who was arrested after Camp Pendleton officials found a threatening note in his barracks that prompted a high school evacuation, officials said Thursday.

Daniel Morgan will remain in the brig while military officials determine what charges to pursue against the 22-year-old accused of writing a note that said he had planted explosives at nearby San Clemente High School, said Camp Pendleton spokesman 1st Lt. Eric Flanagan.

Marine officials searched Morgan's barracks after he failed to report for duty Wednesday morning. When they found the note, the base contacted law enforcement in Orange County, which borders the base.

Authorities in San Clemente evacuated 3,200 students and 180 faculty members on the first day of school as bomb squads scoured the campus for explosives. None were found, and Camp Pendleton officials said no military-grade explosives were stolen from the base. Morgan turned himself in to base officials Wednesday afternoon.

Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino said Thursday his department will not press charges because the threat originated on the base. Amormino added that investigators so far have found no connection between Morgan and the school, which sits only a few miles from the northern gate of Camp Pendleton.

Marine Corps officials declined to release details about Morgan or his military experience until he is formally charged.