Common household products that few would say are dangerous occasionally inflict surprising injuries when manufacturing flaws are involved.
That was the case with recently recalled flashlight batteries that ruptured and caught fire, and with step stools that collapsed and caused numerous broken bones and bruises.
Toy keys, lapel pins and video file-sharing devices also were recalled this week due to various problems.
DETAILS: NexTorch NT123A flashlight batteries imported by NexTorch, Inc. of Mukilteo, Wash.; sold at firearm dealers and law enforcement supply stores, and online at sites including Amazon.com and the firm's website http://www.nextorch.com from July 2007 to July 2011. The batteries were manufactured in China.
WHY: The batteries may overheat and rupture, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers.
INCIDENTS: There has been one report of NexTorch NT123A flashlight batteries rupturing and catching fire, causing burns to the consumer's body, clothes and vehicle.
HOW MANY: About 16,000.
FOR MORE: Call 877-867-2415; visit http://www.nextorch.com; or e-mail usa(at)nextorch.com.
DETAILS: Target Corp. has recalled Step Stools with Storage, wooden step stools made in China, Vietnam, Taiwan and Thailand and sold at Target stores nationwide and online at Target.com from January 2007 through October 2010.
WHY: The stools can break apart or collapse under the weight of the user, posing a fall hazard.
INCIDENTS: Target has received 26 reports of the stools breaking or collapsing. Two adults broke their wrists and one also fractured her hip and pelvis. Six children and one adult suffered scrapes and bruises.
HOW MANY: About 206,000.
FOR MORE: Call 800-440-0680; visit http://www.target.com.
DETAILS: Toy keys imported by Battat Inc. of Plattsburgh, N.Y., and sold at retailers nationwide and online sellers from April 2010 to May 2011 for B. FunKeys, and from January 2006 to December 2009 for Parents Magazine keys.
WHY: The metal toy keys and the plastic key ring can break, posing a choking hazard.
INCIDENTS: No injuries reported but CPSC and Battat have received 17 reports of keys breaking, and 14 reports of key rings breaking.
HOW MANY: About 1 million in the United States and 3,600 in Canada.
FOR MORE: Call 866-665-5524; visit http://www.battatco.com .
DETAILS: Love.Hugs.Peace lapel pins imported by Build-A-Bear Workshop of St. Louis, Mo.; sold at Build-A-Bear Workshop stores nationwide and online at http://www.buildabear.com from July 2009 through October 2010. The pins were manufactured in China. The 1.5 inch lapel pins feature graphics of a heart, bear head, and peace sign all positioned in front of a globe and the words "Love.Hugs.Peace." appear at the bottom.
WHY: Surface paints on the lapel pin contain excessive levels of lead which is prohibited under federal law.
INCIDENTS: No injuries have been reported.
HOW MANY: About 26,500 pins in the United States and 2,200 in Canada.
FOR MORE: Call 866-236-5683; visit http://www.buildabear.com.
VIDEO FILE-SHARING DEVICE
DETAILS: Pogoplug video file sharing device imported by Cloud Engines Inc. of San Francisco.
WHY: The unit can overheat or catch fire, emitting excessive heat, sparks, smoke or flames.
INCIDENTS: Cloud Engines has received three reports of the units overheating. One device caught fire, one device emitted smoke, and one device melted.
HOW MANY: About 9,500 in the United States and 1,500 in Canada.
FOR MORE: Call 866-582-6651; visit http://www.pogoplug.com.