A man accused of killing a mother of 10 and injuring two others during a late night shooting rampage through Honolulu pleaded not guilty on Monday to 20 criminal counts, including murder.
Toby Stangel appeared in Circuit Court via a teleconference video link from Oahu Community Correctional Center, where he was being held on $5 million bail. Deputy public defender Lee Hayakawa entered the plea on Stangel's behalf.
His trial was set for the week of Aug. 15 before Circuit Court Judge Glenn Kim.
A grand jury last week indicted the 28-year-old from Oahu's North Shore on 20 counts, including murder, attempted murder, firearms violations and drug possession.
None of the victims of the June 3 shooting spree knew the suspect, and police have said the attacks appeared to be random.
The violence began after midnight at an intersection where the shooter fired at and killed Tammy Nguyen, 54, who was driving a van. The woman's 16-year-old daughter was also in the vehicle but wasn't injured.
The shooter then got on the H-1 freeway, Honolulu's main highway, and drove several miles before shooting and injuring two more people and firing at two police officers.
Prosecutors have said police recovered a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun after Stangel's arrest, and shell casings from the shootings matched the weapon.
Three counts of attempted murder in the first degree _ for firing on the police officers and for trying to kill more than one person _ come with mandatory sentences of life without parole. The second-degree murder charge, for Nguyen's death, carries a maximum sentence of life with the possibility of parole.
Life without parole is the most severe penalty in Hawaii, which doesn't have the death penalty.