Casey Anthony's parents prodded for answers on missing tot

Reuters News
Posted: Jun 03, 2011 3:38 PM

By Barbara Liston

ORLANDO, Fla (Reuters) - Accused child killer Casey Anthony shook her fists during a confrontational jailhouse visit with her parents as they pressed for help finding her missing 2-year-old daughter Caylee, jurors saw in a video played on Friday.

"We need to have something to go on," said Cindy Anthony, unsmiling and appearing emotionally drained during the August 14, 2008 visit.

"Mom! I don't have anything ... Don't you know how I feel?" Casey responded.

Later, Cindy told Casey, "Just know we're all going in so many directions right now, we want to make sure it's the right one."

The visit occurred a month after Cindy had called 911 and reported her granddaughter missing because Casey wouldn't tell her where the child was.

By then, prosecutors say, Caylee was already dead.

Casey Anthony, 25, is on trial in Orlando, Florida for first-degree murder, accused of killing her daughter on June 16, 2008 and hiding the body in woods near the Anthony home.

After Cindy reported the child missing on July 15, 2008, Casey told detectives Caylee had been kidnapped by a nanny. But Casey was arrested the following day for providing false information and obstructing justice after detectives determined most of what she told them was a lie.

News accounts of the missing child triggered a nationwide search and worldwide interest in the case.

During recorded jail visits that are being shown to jurors, Cindy and George Anthony made clear they believed Casey had more information about Caylee's fate than she was sharing.

They offered to make arrangements for Casey to talk to a law enforcement officer other than those who arrested her, or to one of her parents in a private, face-to-face meeting.

During the August 14, 2008 visit, George repeatedly told Casey she was the one person who could make such a meeting happen just by letting her wish to speak be known to the Orange County sheriff.

"You are the boss of all of this," George told Casey, adding, "You can expedite this very quickly if you want to."

As in past visits, Casey said she could do nothing as long as she was in jail.

"I can't do anything from where I'm at," she said.

Casey also told George that she preferred to have a private meeting with him rather than Cindy because she said her mother kept asking her questions about Caylee's fate.

Caylee's skeletal remains were found in December 2008 with duct tape wrapped three times around the skull, mouth and nose, the only evidence indicating cause of death, according to prosecutors.

Defense lawyer Jose Baez told jurors in his opening statement that Caylee drowned in the Anthony family backyard pool, but her death went unreported.

In the jail visit, Cindy told Casey about a rumor spreading about a drowning.

"Someone just said that Caylee was dead. She drowned in the pool. That's the new story," Cindy said.

There was no further discussion of the rumor.

Twice, Casey told her parents she would not cooperate with the detectives or prosecutors on the case.

"I am not going to give the (district attorney) anything when I get out of here. Sucks for them," Casey said.

Of sheriff's detectives, Casey said, "they're not going to get shit ... I'm just as much a victim as the rest of you."

(Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Jerry Norton)