The parents of a California freshman pledge who died of alcohol poisoning after fraternity hazing have reached a settlement with Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
Eighteen-year-old Carson Starkey of Austin, Texas, was found dead after the Dec. 1, 2008, fraternity hazing. Starkey was a freshman at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
Scott and Julia Starkey filed a lawsuit against the fraternity's Illinois-based national headquarters saying they wanted changes in Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter operations, including hazing and alcohol use.
The San Luis Obispo Tribune says the couple announced the settlement Monday without disclosing details.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon says in a statement that it has a zero-tolerance policy against hazing.
Four men involved in Starkey's death were convicted of misdemeanors and got jail terms ranging from 30 days to six months.
Information from: The Tribune, http://www.sanluisobispo.com