US eases travel warning for Bahrain

AP News
|
Posted: May 13, 2011 1:58 PM
US eases travel warning for Bahrain

The United States has eased its travel warning for Bahrain, citing security improvements in the Middle East country.

Yet the State Department also warned of continuing unrest and said Americans traveling to Bahrain should take precautions. Some U.S. citizens might not be allowed to enter the country because of increased scrutiny by authorities, while demonstrations and ongoing security operations mean travel could become dangerous.

The State Department says U.S. diplomats in Bahrain are back at work, after authorizing the departure of non-essential personnel in April. The embassy is open and operating normally.

Protests that have gripped much of the Arab world spread to Bahrain earlier this year, but the government has cracked down hard.

There are no indications Americans or Westerners are being threatened or targeted, the State Department said.