Yale University has stepped up safety training for supervisors after a student was killed last week inside a chemistry lab when her hair was pulled into a piece of machine-shop equipment.
Yale spokesman Tom Conroy said Monday the training this week is for those who oversee the use of power equipment. The training includes emergency responses and ensuring that safety rules are followed. It also emphasizes making sure protective clothing and other gear needed for the safe use of equipment is present.
Michele Dufault of Scuituate, Mass., was killed April 12 after her hair was caught in a fast-spinning lathe. The physics and astronomy major was about to graduate. Yale has not confirmed she was alone, but says her body was found by other students working in the building.