Moussa Koussa removed from EU sanctions list: UK

Reuters News
|
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 11:02 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Former Libyan foreign minister Moussa Koussa is no longer subject to financial sanctions imposed by the European Union, the British government said on Thursday.

Koussa fled Libya to Britain on March 30, seeking refuge after quitting the government of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, reportedly in support of the rebel uprising and in protest at attacks by Gaddafi's forces on civilians.

He was questioned by Scottish police over the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, but has not been under any travel restrictions.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Britain's Treasury said Koussa had been deleted from the EU financial sanctions list, removing a freeze on his assets.

"We have done that -- it sends a powerful signal to other potential defectors that, if they are currently on a list, they could be taken off that list if they do things differently," a British government source told Reuters.

This week, Koussa left Britain to talk with Libyan opposition figures on the sidelines of an international meeting on Libya in Doha.

(Reporting by Matt Falloon in London and Adrian Croft in Berlin; Editing by Sophie Hares)