The driver of the bus that crashed and killed 15 people in New York City earlier this month broke his silence Monday, saying he is having trouble coping.
"I am having a difficult time breathing," Williams told WNBC-TV. "I am really hurt about the whole situation."
Williams, accompanied by his lawyers, stepped outside his Brooklyn home and spoke briefly about the March 12 crash.
His wife, Holly, said the crash was "a tragic thing for all parties."
"The families of the victims are hurting," she said. "We are all hurting together."
Williams was driving the Worldwide Tours Bus from a Connecticut casino to New York's Chinatown when it crashed in the Bronx, killing 15 passengers and injuring 18 others.
Investigators are looking into whether he was asleep or distracted at the wheel. He has not been charged.
Sean Rooney, an attorney for Williams, told WNBC-TV that Williams has had difficulty sleeping since the accident and is "deeply sorry for the loss of life." He said Williams helped remove injured passengers from the bus after it crashed.
Rooney did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press on Monday.
Authorities said last week that Williams' driving privileges had been suspended from past infractions under another name, Eric Williams.
Rooney told the TV station that Williams was not aware that his driving privileges had been revoked.
"He never misled anybody," Rooney said. "He fully believed he had a right to drive."
Information from: WNBC-TV, http://www.wnbc.com