Mass. boy in hibachi death was overmedicated

AP News
|
Posted: Mar 16, 2011 9:14 AM
Mass. boy in hibachi death was overmedicated

An 8-year-old boy who authorities say was killed by his mother when she lit a hibachi grill in a bedroom of their Massachusetts apartment also had an excessive amount of allergy medicine in his system.

Brandon Yang's death certificate says the Quincy third-grader died in January because he was "administered excess medication and exposed to carbon monoxide fumes."

The Patriot Ledger of Quincy reports the medication was diphenhydramine, an antihistamine available in many over-the-counter medications.

His mother, 39-year-old Li Rong Zhang, is charged with murder in his death, which authorities have said was an attempted murder-suicide.

Zhang is being held without bail pending a probable cause hearing. She has undergone a psychiatric evaluation. Her lawyer, who entered a not guilty plea on her behalf, has not commented on the charges.

___

Information from: The Patriot Ledger, http://www.patriotledger.com