15 treated for carbon monoxide in Utah jail

AP News
|
Posted: Mar 11, 2011 11:25 AM
15 treated for carbon monoxide in Utah jail

Twelve inmates and three staff members at a Utah jail have been hospitalized with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after a cooking appliance malfunctioned in the jail's kitchen.

Jail Lt. Matt Bilodeau tells The Herald Journal of Logan that paramedics were summoned to the Cache County Jail about 2 p.m. Thursday after a staff member and several inmate kitchen workers reported headaches.

Bilodeau says a jail nurse realized the problem and ordered the kitchen evacuated.

Six inmates were taken to Logan Regional Hospital, and the other nine people were treated at the Cache Valley Specialty Hospital in North Logan.

Bilodeau says medical officials confirmed the problem was carbon monoxide poisoning.

The jail wasn't locked down, and cell block areas weren't affected.

___

Information from: The Herald Journal, http://www.hjnews.com