911 tapes and video released from UT shooting

AP News
Posted: Oct 13, 2010 6:52 PM
911 tapes and video released from UT shooting

The University of Texas on Wednesday released audio and video recordings of the chaos that unfolded after a student opened fire on campus last month before eventually turning the gun on himself.

"Get out of there!" one policeman yells as students are seen fleeing the building where authorities say 19-year-old Colton Joshua Tooley ended his own life.

The camera was flashing 8:21 a.m. when an unidentified man yells out: "He shot himself."

Meanwhile, in one of more than a dozen 911 calls released Wednesday, UT project manager Tony Guzman reported seeing Tooley walking down the street carrying an AK-47. Guzman describes a well-dressed gunman with a head covering as the dispatcher calls on a police radio to get officers to the scene.

"He fired several shots," Guzman says on the recording. "It looked like live rounds that he fired because I saw leaves falling from the trees." He accurately described Tooley as wearing a black suit.

The recordings, including police dashcam video and surveillance video, were released about two weeks after Tooley terrorized the UT campus. The shooting on Sept. 28 began near a fountain in front of the UT Tower _ the site of one of the nation's deadliest shooting rampages more than four decades ago, when a gunman ascended the clock tower and fired down on dozens of people.

Family and associates described Tooley as an excellent student.

Before reaching the library, Tooley apparently walked for several blocks wearing a mask and dark clothing and carrying an automatic weapon, according to witnesses and the recordings released Wednesday.

Authorities said Tooley ran into the library as officers closed in on him, then shot himself in the head on the sixth floor.

The campus was the site of one of the nation's deadliest shooting rampages four decades ago.

On Aug. 1, 1966, Charles Whitman went to the 28th floor observation deck at the UT clock tower in the middle of campus and began shooting at people below. He killed 16 people and wounded nearly three dozen before police killed him about 90 minutes after the siege began.